All-State Choir 2020 Audition Info/Final Exam Material
All-State Choir Auditions/Final Exam
Short version: You're going to record an audio recording (i.e. an mp3) of yourself singing each of the four exercises we've been practicing, using some recordings I made for you. You're going to submit them to google classroom.
See my tutorial video if you're confused: How to Make All-State Recordings/Final Exam Recordings
1. Pick your voice part. Females must be soprano or alto; males must be tenor or bass. Contact me if you aren't sure what part is best for you. The part you sing in class (or close to it) is probably best! It should feel comfortable. If you're unsure - Alto 1 (for ladies) and Bass 1 (for guys) is usually the most comfortable for the most people.
2. Find two devices (i.e. two smartphones, a smartphone and a computer, a smartphone and a tablet) - one to play the recordings out loud while you sing along, and one to record an AUDIO recording of yourself singing (not video). Don't have two devices? Can you borrow one for an hour? If you can't find a second one, see below - "what to do if you only have one device."*
3. Decide how to record yourself and do a soundcheck. Remember - we want an AUDIO recording, not video. On an iphone, I'd just use the voice memo. Keep it very simple. Do not use any programs that add reverb or effects. (If you can't figure out how to make an audio recording, just do a video - it's ok!)
4. Record each exercise below separately. You'll sing along using the tracks I made you. Each track has you sing the exercise with me playing/singing along once, then sing it by yourself once. Just follow the instructions and you'll be fine! Make SURE you use the tracks I made you - they give you important instructions, AND make sure you're in the right key (which is essential!).
5. Decide if you want to submit your audition for All-State Choir. It's not required. Here is the information about All-State: All-State 2020 information
6. Submit each exercise separately into google classroom. Contact me if you have technical problems.
7. Now you're done with choir for the year!
*What to do if you only have one device: Use it to run through each exercise using the recordings below. Then, quickly switch to your recording software, and record yourself singing the same exercise immediately after practicing it. Make sure you start on the same pitch and go the same tempo (speed) that you did in the recording.
Here are the recordings and printed music for the exercises, separated by voice part.