General English 1
General English 1
Phone: 728-2400 ext. 8668
This course will utilize the curriculum READ 180, which is an intensive reading intervention program designed to meet the needs of students whose reading achievement is in need of some extra help. The program addresses individual needs through adaptive and instructional software, high-interest literature, and direct instruction in reading and writing skills.
Below is the program website:
Classroom Code of Conduct:
- I am responsible-Be on time for class; be prepared for class.
- I am respectful-Respect yourself and others.
- I am resilient-Put forth your best effort.
- I am ready-Request help if you need it.
- Please take care of personal needs before coming to class.
- Finish all food and drinks before coming to class. A water bottle is ok.
- No electronic devices (off and placed in the class phone holder at the befinning of class and remian in the holder until the end of class) unless pre-approved by Ms. Tomsich.
- Hats must be worn correctly (facing forward) or not at all (this applies to both male and female students).
- No hoods (this applies to both male and female students).
- One person out of the room at a time (bathroom requests either the first or last 20 minutes of class will be restricted unless there is an emergency).
A tardy is defined as a student not being in class when the bell rings. If you are tardy, check in at the office with Karen Staves. She will give you a tardy slip to hand in.
- Every minute you are late to class, you must “pay” back those minutes by staying after class.
- If you are tardy by 10 minutes or more, you are counted absent for the class period.
- Tardy #4 in a quarter results in loss of class participation grade.
- Tardy #5 in a quarter results in a discipline referral to the Dean.
Grades will be assigned on the basis of the percentage of points earned out of the points possible which will include: rbook assignments, instructional software, independent reading, quizzes, tests, and projects.
I have read the syllabus and classroom code of conduct and understand it. I will honor it while working with Ms. Tomsich in my English class
Student signature: __________________________________________ Date: _______
My child has discussed the syllabus and classroom discipline plan with me. I understand it and support it.
Parent Signature: ___________________________________________ Date: _______