Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Caroline Lurgio
ENGLISH 1 CURRICULUM
Our English 1 curriculum follows the Engage New York curriculum, an MCPS vetted curriculum.
English 1 Primary Texts:
Quarter 1: Short story "St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves" by Karen Russell
Ranier Maria Rilke's Letters to a Young Poet. We read "Letter 1" and "Letter 7."
Black Swan Green by David Mitchell
Quarter 2: Romeo and Juliet
Quarter 3: Sugar Changed the World
Quarter 4: Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (not an Engage NY text but is approved by OPI, MCPS, and IEFA)
This two-year course is separated into three areas of exploration:
Readers, writers and texts (Oct.- Jan.)
- Literary work: Henrik Ibsen’s The Doll’s House (free choice)
- Non- literary: Liza Donnelly cartoons OR artist Barbara Kruger
- Literary work: Louise Erdrich’s The Round House (English Prescribed Reading List)
- Non- literary work: Native News articles about Montana reservations; Stolen: The Search for Jermain
Time and space (February- May)
- Literary text: William Shakespeare’s Macbeth (English PRL)
- Non-literary text: fake news- power, post truth and alternative facts.
- Non- literary text: "I, too, sing America": 5 Significant Michelle Obama Speeches
By the end of Year 1, students will have drafted two HL essays.
Time and space: (Sept.- Oct. Year 2)
- Literary Text: Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s Chronicle of a Death Foretold (Text in translation)
- Non- literary text: Movements for social change (Nike advertisements)
Intertextuality: connecting texts (Nov.- Apr.)
- Literary text: Banana Yoshimoto’s Kitchen (Text in translation)
- Non- literary text: TBD (TedTalks
- Literary text: Essays from Maya Angelou (English PRL)
Non- literary text: TBD OR Evolution of language-”You can’t say that!”
We will wrap up the second year with literature circles.