Declaration of Intent and Oath of Candidacy for Trustee Candidates
The Declaration of Intent and Oath of Candidacy form is now available for five seats that will be up for election on the Missoula County Public Schools Board of Trustees. The election will be held on Tuesday, May 7, 2019. Forms may be obtained from Pat McHugh, Executive Director of Business and Operations, at the District’s Business Building, 915 South Avenue West, in Missoula. Forms may also be obtained from the Montana Office of Public Instruction website.
Candidates must work directly with the Commissioner of Political Practices in filing the C-1-A Form and campaign practices.
Free Notary Services are available in the MCPS Business Office, MCPS Payroll Office or the Elections Office.
Forms must be filed with the Missoula County Elections Office, 200 West Broadway, by 5 p.m. on Thursday, March 28, 2019. The forms may also be returned to the District for filing, but must be received in the District’s Business Building, 915 South Ave W, no later than 4 p.m. on March 28, 2019.
The following board seats are up for election:
- Three seats that represent the Elementary and High School District. These K-12 seats are three-year terms. Candidates must be qualified to vote and reside within the MCPS Elementary District boundary. These positions are currently held by Michael Beers, Diane Lorenzen and Vicki McDonald.
- One seat that represents the High School Election District “A”. This seat is a three-year term. Candidates must be qualified to vote and reside in Election District “A”, which includes the attendance areas for Lolo and DeSmet schools. This seat is currently held by Ann Wake.
- One seat that represents the High School Election District “B”. This seat is a two-year term. Candidates must be qualified to vote and reside in Election District “B”, which includes the attendance areas for Bonner and Target Range schools. This seat is currently held by Sharon Sterbis.
MCPS trustees are volunteer, non-paid positions. Trustees are requested to attend two (2) monthly meetings that focus on curricula, policy, budget, administrative issues and other topics. In addition, the trustee schedule includes special meetings, board work sessions, budget study sessions, building visits, graduation ceremonies, and special events. Meetings are held during the day and evening.
There are 11 trustees on the school board. Seven seats represent both Elementary and High School Districts and four seats represent outlying communities and vote only on High School District issues.
- Missoula County Elections Office (406)258-4751
- Montana Commission of Political Practices (406)444-2942
- Missoula County Public Schools Business Office (406)728-2400 Ext. 3021