MCPS Food and Nutrition Program
Breakfast Program - USDA School Breakfast Program
- MCPS students have the opportunity to get a filling and nutritionally complete breakfast before school begins each day. A variety of food is served including yogurt, breakfast oat bars, breakfast burritos, pancakes, and french toast. All of the meals that are served include at least one serving of whole grains, a serving of fruit, 100% fruit juice and low-fat or non-fat white milk.
- At Hawthorne Elementary, Russell Elementary, and Franklin Elementary, breakfast is served in the classroom during the first 15 minutes of class. Since these schools are under the Community Eligibility Provision, breakfast is available and FREE for these students!
- Every week our Central Kitchen bakers make delicious homemade, whole grain, baked goods from scratch including banana bread, zucchini bread, cinnamon rolls and blueberry muffins. These items go out to all of our elementary and middle schools and are served every Friday for breakfast.
Lunch Program - USDA National School Lunch Program
- The District produces, on average, 6,000 meals a day. The Central Kitchen staff prepare and distribute roughly 3,000 of those meals to 12 schools throughout Missoula. Behind the scenes....projection numbers are worked-out weeks in advance, recipes are batched out, and ingredients ordered.
- Sample Day: On Pizza Day four cooks and two bakers arrive at 5 a.m. to produce approximately 140 whole grain crusts from scratch using Wheat Montana flour and sauce is made with kale crumbles for a nutritional boost. Assembled pizzas are loaded into carriers and distributed to MCPS schools by drivers, all before 10 a.m. for school kitchens to complete the final baking and serving. Sanitation crews are also on hand to wash the trays and custodians to keep the lunchrooms clean.
- As of 2014, with the help of Let's Move Salad Bars in Schools, all K-8 schools now have salad bars! Research shows that incorporating salad bars into school lunches increases students' consumption of fruits and vegetables. Salad bars are available to students at every lunch and when possible local produce is provided.
- Farm to School
- Free and Reduced Lunch Application
- Free and Reduced Lunch Application - ONLINE
- Helpful Links
- Meal Prices
- Staff Directory
- Summer Food Service Program