In-District Grades K-8 Transfer Information
In-District elementary students who wish to attend an elementary school other than their attendance area school must complete an In-District Transfer form. In addition, the following documentation must be completed and submitted with the transfer form:
- A letter from parent/guardian detailing the explanation for the request.
Documents supporting the reason for the request. (NOTE: Staff are not allowed to provide a letter of support.)
Current and previous progress report schedule or most current report card.
Submit the completed form and required documentation to:
Assistant Superintendent Vinny Giammona
Missoula County Public Schools
Administration Building A
909 South Avenue W.
Missoula, MT 59801
Elementary students living within MCPS boundaries, who wish to attend an elementary school other than their attendance area school, must meet the following guidelines:
- All students must complete a Transfer Request Form.
- The District reserves the right to return students to their attendance area school at the start of the semester grading period, if overcrowding results at the receiving school or in order to balance enrollments.
- In the case of a transfer, the transportation will be the responsibility of the parent/guardian.
- If approved, the transfer may occur only at the beginning of the semester, unless deemed necessary by the District Administration.
- There is no guarantee of continued attendance at an out-of-area school; determinations will be made on a year-to-year basis.
- Acceptance of out of attendance area transfers is contingent on the student’s behavior, regular attendance and passing grades, and adherence to school and District policies. Violation of any of these contingencies may result in a student being transferred back to their attendance area school at the start of the next grading period.
- Students who live outside the MCPS elementary boundary are considered out of district students. Out of district students will be placed on a space available basis using the guidelines established in the procedure for out of district students.
- May 1, 2024 - for all current 5th graders (will be 6th graders in the 24-25 school year)
- May 13, 2024, for all current K-8 transfer students to reapply (those already enrolled in non-attendance area school)
- August 1, 2024, for new K-8 students to the District or new transfer request