In-District High School Transfer
In-District high school students who wish to attend a high school other than their attendance area school must complete an In-District High School Transfer form. In addition, the following documentation must be completed and submitted with the transfer form:
A letter from student detailing explanation for the request.
A letter from parent/guardian detailing explanation for the request.
Documents supporting reason for request. (NOTE: Staff are not allowed to provide a letter of support.)
Current and previous progress report schedule or most current report card if not in high school yet
Graduation Credit Check Form (if in 10th-12th grade). Available in High School Counselor Office.
Submit the completed form and required documentation to:
- Assistant Superintendent, Russ Lodge
- Missoula County Public Schools
- Administration Building
High school students living within MCPS boundaries, who wish to attend a high school other than their attendance area school, must meet the following guidelines:
- All students must complete a Transfer Request Form.
- The District reserves the right to return students to their attendance area school at the start of the semester grading period, if overcrowding results at the receiving school or in order to balance enrollments.
- The student who is granted a transfer, not due to a family move, is subject to eligibility policies established by the Montana High School Association (MHSA). Specifically, the ninety (90) school day ineligibility rule will apply.
- No transfers will be made to accommodate extra-curricular activities.
- In the case of a transfer, the transportation will be the responsibility of the parent/guardian.
- If approved, the transfer may occur only at the beginning of the semester, unless deemed necessary by the District Administration.
- A student may have only one transfer during his/her high school career and only if the transfer is legitimately based on the stated exceptions, unless deemed necessary by the District Administration. An exception to the one transfer rule would be a student who is returning to the school that is in their attendance area, which would still be allowed only at the beginning of the semester.
- There is no guarantee of continued attendance at an out of area school; determinations will be made on a year-to-year basis.
- Acceptance of out of attendance area transfers is contingent on the student’s behavior, regular attendance and passing grades, and adherence to school and District policies. Violation of any of these contingencies may result in a student being transferred back to their attendance area school at the start of the next grading period.
- Students who live outside the MCPS High School boundary are considered out of district students. Out of district students will be placed on a space available basis using the guidelines established in the procedure for out of district students.
Application Deadlines (20-21 School year)
- December 14, 2020, for consideration of a change mid-year, at end of 1st Semester for current high school students
- December 14, 2020, for all current 8th graders (will be 9th graders in the 21-22 school year)
- August 10, 2020, for all other existing high school students and new students to the District