Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who are “ELL” students?

    • A student whose first language is a language other than English, And/or
    • A student who lives in a home where a language other than English is consistently spoken And/or
    • A student who has been influenced by an indigenous language, usually an American Indian language. 

    How does a student exit ELL?

    ELL students take an annual assessment called the ACCESS for ELLs.  In order to be considered proficient, students must have, at a minimum, an overall score of 4.7 on this assessment. Input from additional measures of reading, writing, or language development available from school assessments will also be considered before students are exited.   

    I know that my student’s parents don’t speak English - what should I do?

    The District has hired several translators who can be available at parent-teacher meetings or can translate written documents that need to be sent home. To find out if there is a translator available for the language you need, contact Shirley Lindburg.  If no translator is available, use CTS Language Link - A phone translation service that the district will pay for.  It is very important to be as proactive as possible about finding translation for parents.  Language should not be a barrier to a family being involved in their student’s education.  

    Who do I contact if I have a question about a student?

    If you have questions or need more information, contact:

    Shirley Lindburg (K-5)  x1057

    Brady Baughman (6-8) x1155

    Aria Peters (9-12) x1079