third grade is starting to become familiar with the brass, woodwind, string and percussion families of the orchestra. To my delight, they really enjoyed the music we listened to while identifying the sounds of the percussion family. At their request, I am listing the pieces for them to listen to again.
Listening to classical music really can be fun and engaging! We learned about Russian composer, Dimitri Kabelevsky, extended form and instruments in the orchestra. Grab a scarf, click on the link above and have fun with your child moving to this raucous, lively orchestral piece.
Composer fun facts:
1. He was born in St Petersburg, Russia
2. He was born in 1904. (We figured out that would make him 116 if he were alive today!)
3. His favorite instrument has 88 keys. What is it?
4. He also liked to paint and write poetry
5. He enjoyed teaching music to young children.