Concussion: Parent and Student Information
Concussions can occur in students from incidents at school, school sports, and sports outside of school or other accidents such as car or biking crashes.
A student who initially rests and then does a step wise return to learning and activities while monitoring for symptoms may recover faster and more completely. Most students will be symptom free within 3 weeks.
For a list of signs and symptoms of concussion, danger signs that need immediate medical care at a hospital and what to do if your child has or may have a concussion, see MCPS Concussion Information.
Information and Links
General Concussion Informaton:
MCPS Procedures and Forms:
- Concussion Guidelines: Parent Handout (This includes Return to Learn Guidelines and possible classroom adjustments based on symptoms your child has called the "Symptom Wheel".
- Healthcare Provider Communication Form
- Healthcare Provider Communication Form (ada)
Sports and MCPS:
Students who participate in school sports must have a signed concussion statement every eyar on file BEFORE playing or practicing starts.
- Montana Law; Protection of Youth in Sports
- MHSA Student-Athlete and Parent/Legal Guardian Concussion Statement (Signature Form)
- MHSA Concussion Information for Student Athletes and Parents (Handout for above Signature Form)