• FAQ's

    I recognize that health occurs on a continuum, thus changes over time.  Please contact me if you have concerns, questions or simply want to provide an update on your child's health status.   All conversations fall under the HIPAA and FERPA guidelines regarding confidentiality.  


    1. My child was recently injured and now is restricted from certain activities.  How do I let the school know about this?

      • There are several options: 
        • Call the Rattlesnake office at (406) 542-4050 or
        • Email me, Lisa Flanagan, RN case manager at ltflanagan@mcpsmt.org.  
        • Call me at (406) 239-9065 (cell) or (406) 728-2400 ext. 1078 (office phone)
      • Ideally, provide a healthcare provider note indicating:
        • type of injury,
        • what activities are restricted,
        • what activities are allowed (examples: "running and biking are OK but no jumping" or "upper body training OK" and
        • expected length of time for healing is very helpful for school staff to appropriately support your student during this time.  
      • This note may be turned in to the front office at Rattlesnake or emailed to me, Lisa Flanagan, RN, at ltflanagan@mcpsmt.org.  The health office fax number is:  (406) 329-5978. 
      • Please remember that alternative exercises and activities are encouraged for PE classes.  For instance, a student with a sprained ankle can usually work on upper body strength or participate in activities such as frisbee with adaptations.  An injury does not necessarily mean a student is exempt from PE.
      • Some students may benefit from use of the school elevators during their recovery period.  The building elevator is available to all students who need it and does not require a key or code to operate.  
    2. My child is scheduled for surgery.  How can we prepare for this type of school absence?

      • Direct communication with your student's teacher(s) and school nurse prior to surgery is strongly recommended.  This allows everyone time to plan and prepare for lessons and assignments during your student's absence, recovery and eventual return to school.  Teacher names and emails can be found on the Q Parent Portal under the schedule tab or their individual webpages.  
      • A healthcare provider note indicating date of surgery and expected amount of time your child will be out of school is helpful for attendance purposes.  This note can be turned in to the front office at Paxson or emailed to me,  Lisa Flanagan, RN case manager, at ltflanagan@mcpsmt.org.
      • Your school nurse can assist your student upon his/her/their return to school with procedures such as medication administration and direct care needs, such as wound care.   
    3. My child recently sustained a concussion.  What next?

      • I want to know about it!  Please contact me, Lisa Flanagan, RN case manager, at 406-239-9065 (cell) or ltflanagan@mcpsmt.org.  Information regarding when the concussion occurred and how, what symptoms your student is experiencing and any healthcare provider information is most helpful.  
      • Review Missoula County Public Schools concussion information.  This includes information about concussions in general, Return to Learn Guidelines and suggestions for classroom adaptations to minimize symptoms, as well as forms for medical providers.  There is lots of information on this webpage and I highly recommend taking the time to review it.
      • The school nurse will notify your student's school counselor, teachers and other staff working with your student that a concussion occurred, current symptoms and a reminder of the Return to Learn Guidelines and Classroom Symptom Wheel recommendations.  I will also communicate to staff when your student has been cleared to return to all activities.
      • I like to meet with students with concussion after they've returned to school to check in and provide assistance as needed.  
      • The Paxson Health Office can be a good place for quiet rest during the day and we encourage students experiencing an increase in concussion symptoms, such as headache or stomach upset, to come to the health office to lie down.  Occasionally, though, the health office reaches full capacity and we don't have space to allow this to happen.  We will work to find an alternate, suitable location.
    4. My child has a chronic health condition.

      • I want to know about it!  Please contact Lisa Flanagan, RN case manager, at 406-239-9065 (cell) or ltflanagan@mcpsmt.org.
      • More information can be found under the MCPS website tab "Student Services" → "Health Services."
    5. My child needs medication at school.

      • Please note that students are NOT allowed to carry medications at school except under specific circumstances.  This includes medication that can be purchased over-the-counter.  More information about medication at school is available here.
      • Medication order forms can be found here (scroll down about halfway down the page; located on the right side)


Nurse woodle