Paxson School was built in 1922 at Higgins and Evans Avenues. It was named after Edgar S. Paxson, a famous painter who was born in East Hamburg, New York, on April 25, 1852. His most famous painting is "Custer's Last Stand", which contains more than 200 figures. Paxson spent 20 years researching and eight years painting this six-by-nine foot painting. Many of Paxson's paintings can be viewed in the Missoula County Courthouse, the Art Museum of Missoula and the National Forest Service Administration Building.