- Rattlesnake Elementary
Happy Friday and Welcome March!
Posted by Clarke McGibben on 2/25/2022 3:30:00 PM
Hello First Grade Families,
Please see below for reminders and important upcoming dates!
- Next weeks special: Library
- Next Thursday, March 3rd, keep an eye out for SignUp Genius invites for Spring Parent/Teacher Conferences.
- This week we learned about contractions. Some children will be coming home with a contraction memory game. Please play this over the weekend and next week as part of “homework”.
- Our family-inspired cinquain poems are complete! Syllable cinquain (sin-kain) poems have five lines and 22 syllables (2-4-6-8-2). Children wrote poems, and added a watercolor painting, with their own family in mind. Please see some of the work attached to this letter or on our class website. They are currently hanging above cubbies and will be sent home at a later date.
- Today, Friday 2/25, we investigated Alma Thomas as a mini artist study. Alma Thomas was a black teacher for 35 years in a segregated school in Washington DC. After retiring, she became an artist, and the first African American woman to have a solo art exhibition at the Whitney Museum of American Art at the age of 81. Her abstract paintings, mostly watercolor, were inspired by nature and colors in nature. Children completed an inspired painting in the afternoon. She was alive from 1891-1978. Stay tuned for pictures from this fun exploration!
- In math, we are still conquering making a ten to subtract. We hope to finish this unit next week before taking a mid-unit quiz before report cards.
- Next week will be filled with mid-term assessments. Please let me know if your child will be absent ahead of time.
- Wash those hands! Help keep our class and your child healthy! Please review the importance of proper hand washing at home. I would greatly appreciate it!
Have a wonderful weekend!