Phone: 406-542-4045 ext. 2075
Degrees and Certifications:
BM - The University of Montana - Percussion Performance MM - The University of Akron - Percussion Performance and Wind Band Conducting
Mr. Samuel McKenzie
Hello, my name is Samuel McKenzie. I am the band director here at Meadow Hill. I also direct the Honor Band, which is an after school group that meets Tuesdays at Meadow Hill. I went to The University of Montana where I earned a bachelor’s degree in percussion performance. I also attended The University of Akron where I earned a Master’s in Percussion Performance and a Master’s in Wind Band Conducting. I currently perform with the Missoula Symphony and several bands in Missoula. Please contact me if you have any questions.
Band in the fall
I hope you all had a safe and healthy summer! I am very excited to see students again and to make music in the classroom! Here is a letter from our new fine arts supervisor detailing what we are doing to keep students safe in the class room.
The Fine Arts Department at MCPS is working hard to prepare for this fall semester. We know there is some concern about how performing groups can continue in this environment. We acknowledge and respect these concerns, and we want you to know that we are doing everything we can to keep the students and staff safe at each of our schools. Safety is our highest priority.
Each performance medium, be it voice or instrumental, requires slightly different solutions. We, along with the Montana High School Association, are following the guidelines that were established through the findings of the ongoing University of Colorado Aerosol study. Below is a direct link to all the most current results of this interesting study if you wish to look deeper into the work.
The following is a list of the five most relevant mitigation procedures that the MCPS Fine Arts Department will be diligently following based on each appropriate medium's recommendations.
- Masking for students, instruments and materials is a must. Students should wear masks while singing.
- The CDC guideline of 6 ft distancing should be followed. A 6 ft x 6 ft area, while playing instruments or singing for both indoors and outdoors, is recommended. A 9 ft x 6 ft distance should be used for trombone players.
- 30 minute rehearsal time is ideal.
- Monitor air flow in the room. Some classrooms may not provide enough space or have proper ventilation. Classrooms may have to be moved to larger venues such as the auditorium.
- Make sure students are using hand sanitizer and wiping down instruments. When emptying their spit valves, an absorbent disposable material (Puppy Pad) to catch the condensation is recommended. If not available, students should be instructed to empty away from others.
In addition to the above recommendations we have purchased bell covers for each wind instrument player, extra folders so there will be no need for sharing, and we are making sure there are plenty of masks available for playing and singing.
We recognize that this can seem overwhelming, but we want to assure you that we have a strong plan with your children’s safety in mind. We look forward to working with the students and giving them the same level of commitment and passion that you have come to expect in this community.
MCPS Fine Arts Department
Google Classroom - Codes
8th grade Band – Period 4 – A-K
8th grade Band – Period 4 - L-Z
6th Grade Band - Period 2 - A-K
6th Grade Band - Period 2 - L-Z
8th Grade Band - Period 5 - A-K
8th Grade Band - Period 5 - L-Z
6th Grade Band - Period 3 - A-K
6th Grade Band - Period 3 - L-Z
7th Grade Band - Period 7 - A-K
7th Grade Band - Period 7 - A-K
7th Grade Band - Period 8 - A-K
7th Grade Band - Period 8 - L-Z