About Mrs. Johnstone
Welcome to 4th Grade! This is going to be an exciting year because all 4th graders have three teachers. I will teach Math and Science to all 4th grade students. This is my 21st year teaching, and my fourth year teaching 4th grade at Paxson. I love being a part of Paxson's dynamic 4th grade team!
I grew up in Maine and attended the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. After graduating, I moved to Washington DC to teach Middle School Spanish for three years. Next, I moved to New York City where I taught 5th grade for two years. My husband and I moved to Helena in 2004. I taught a 4th/5th grade combination class for 7 years. Eight years ago, we moved with our three beautiful kids and two energetic dogs to Missoula. I taught at Garden City Montessori for two years then I moved over to Paxson to teach first grade. I taught first grade for 3 years before moving up to 4th grade.
I am so honored to be at here. Paxson is my neighborhood school. I know it's a great learning community because my own children go here!email: firstname.lastname@example.org number: 728-2400 extension 4578Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday Schedule:8:30-9:15 Specials9:15-10:45 Rotation 110:45-11:15 WIN time11:15-12:00 Lunch and Recess12:00-1:30 Rotation 21:30-2:00 Recess2:00-3:30 Rotation 3Thursday Schedlue:8:30-9:15 Specials9:15-9:30 Recess9:30-10:55 Rotation 110:55-12:20 Rotation 212:20-1:05 Lunch and Recess1:05-2:30 Rotation 32:30 Early Dismissal
GRADE LEVEL UPDATES AND UPCOMING EVENTS:January 9:
Happy New Year, 4th Grade Families,
We hope you had a restful break. It’s been great to be back with your kiddos!
Mrs. Johnstone’s Class:
- We are getting into our Division unit. Students will learn many ways to solve division problems, including the traditional algorithm.
- Our goal is for all students to have their multiplication facts (0-10) memorized in the next few weeks. Knowing the facts quickly will help them immensely when working through upcoming long division problems. We have started working on a fact fluency program called XtraMath. I will send home an XtraMath report next week so you can help your kiddos at home.
Maestra Corona’s class:
- We are finishing “Region Medio Oeste.” we looked at states, capitals, resources, animals, and created a map that shows the resources of this area.
- We will start “Region Suroeste.”
- We are practicing sentence’s structure, nouns, adjectives, and verbs in the past tense.
Mrs. Parkey’s class:
- We are continuing to work on opinion writing. Students are separating introductions and conclusions away from body paragraphs and using direct quotes from texts to support their opinions.
- We will be taking the STAR test next week to measure our reading progress so far this year.
- We have been learning about Indigenous cultures of North America though a fictional story. Our next texts will continue this learning. We will read nonfiction texts about four different indigenous cultures in North America.
- We have begun learning and using Greek and Latin root words to help students with both spelling and vocabulary acquisition.
- We continue to practice and learn proper conventions and grammar. We are focusing on punctuating dialogue correctly, as our next writing standard will be narrative writing.
- We have begun discussing figurative language and using words as an artform. We will continue this investigation as we start our 6 week poetry unit at the end of January!
- Friday, January 10: Progress Reports go home. Please check on missing assignments!
- January 13-24 ELA, SLA, and Math STAR testing window.
- January 15: Paxson’s Around the World Cultural Night (This is a fun evening where students get to learn about some of the diverse cultures represented at Paxson!)
- January 20: NO SCHOOL for Martin Luther King Day
- January 22: Mid-term reports go home
- February 7: MCPS 4th Grade Youth Symphony Field Trip
Have a great afternoon!
-The 4th Grade Team