RECOMMENDED OPTION FOR HAWTHORNE ELEMENTARY SCHOOLOur proposal to improve the building is designed to ensure Hawthorne Elementary School students have a facility that meets the educational needs of 21st century students. When complete, Hawthorne will be a smarter school in many ways, including:
OPTION E-2 EXPAND
- ADA compliance throughout the facility, including an elevator to the gymnasium and second floor.
- A visible, safe and secure main entrance.
- A new cafeteria/multipurpose room for student dining, music classes and performances.
- A highly functional library/media center.
- Flexible collaboration spaces for students, teachers and parents.
- Wireless Internet access for all classes and staff.
- Additional classrooms to serve increased enrollment.
- Increased safety, with the building divided into secure zones with electronically activated door closers.
- Eliminate modular spaces.
- Expand classroom space.
- Add a new cafeteria/multipurpose space.
- Improve library/media space.
- ADA accessibility upgrades.
- Boiler and heat distribution.
- Technology improvements.
- Safety and security improvements.
SECURITYModify facility to create obvious main entry, secure waiting area and ability to observe visitors approaching the building. Subdivide the building into secure zones with electronically activated door closers.TECHNOLOGYDevelop high-speed/high-volume fiber optic distribution to breakout spaces for projects, presentations and technology in each learning community, enhanced with robust wireless and hard-wired access points.ENVIRONMENTInstall barn doors and garage doors with quality acoustical materials between learning areas and breakout areas for projects, presentations and technology. Create small learning communities for teams of teachers and students that include traditional classroom as well as important support spaces for 1:1 tutoring, small groups, planning centers, storage, etc.FACILITIES STRATEGIC PLAN
Site Area: 5.42 acres Remaining Deferred Maintenance Parking spaces: 100 & Energy Project Costs: $0 Building Square Footage Rental/Lease/Sale Income: None *All costs are projected based on industry Existing: 50,045 Current Enrollment: 370 averages for building costs, sizes and land prices. New: 7,000 Future Peak Enrollment: 434 Final project budget will be developed during Total Project Cost: $4,795,770* Capacity: 450-500 the design phase. Replacement Cost: $12,838,108 .