RECOMMENDED OPTION FOR WASHINGTON MIDDLE SCHOOLOur proposal to improve the building is designed to ensure Washington Middle School students have a facility that meets the educational needs of 21st century students. When complete, Washington will be a smarter school in many ways, including:
OPTION C-2 CONSOLIDATE
- Secure front entrance, waiting area, and the ability to observe visitors approaching the building.
- ADA compliance throughout the building.
- Technology infrastructure improvements to support 21st century learners.
- Collaborative areas for students and teachers.
- 21st century library, music and exploratory spaces.
- Reconfigured multipurpose dining area that provides additional seating to accommodate students' nutritional and emotional needs.
- Additional learning space to accommodate increasing enrollment.
- Eliminate modular spaces.
- Improve classroom space.
- Reconfigure library space.
- Reconfigure music room.
- Reconfigure lunchroom space.
- ADA accessibility upgrades.
- Technology improvement.
- Boiler and heat distribution.
- Safety and security improvements.
SECURITYModify facility to create obvious main entry, secure waiting area and ability to observe visitors approaching the building. Subdivide the building into secure zones with electronically activated door closers.TECHNOLOGYDevelop high-speed/high-volume fiber optic distribution to breakout spaces for projects, presentations and technology in each learning community, enhanced with robust wireless and hard-wired access points.ENVIRONMENTInstall barn doors and garage doors with quality acoustical materials between learning areas and breakout areas for projects, presentations and technology. Create small learning communities for teams of teachers and students that include traditional classroom as well as important support spaces for 1:1 tutoring, small groups, planning centers, storage, etc.