RECOMMENDED OPTION FOR C.S. PORTER MIDDLE SCHOOLOur proposal to improve the building is designed to ensure C.S. Porter Middle School students have a facility that meets the educational needs of 21st century students. When complete, C.S. Porter will be a smarter school in many ways, including:
- A new music wing with performance and practice areas.
- Enhanced learning space to accommodate increased enrollment.
- Modified safety-minded renovation to create obvious main entry, with drop-off zone and secure waiting area.
- Building subdivided into secure zones with electronically activated door closers.
- High-speed/high-volume fiber optic distribution to breakout spaces for projects, enhancing teaching and learning.
- Installation of barn doors and garage doors with quality acoustical materials.
- Small learning communities that include traditional classrooms and support spaces.
OPTION E-1 EXPAND
- Construct a new music wing.
- Improve classroom space.
- Improve space for support staff.
- Replace roof.
- Boiler and heat distribution.
- Safety and security improvements.
SECURITYModify facility to create obvious main entry, secure waiting area and ability to observe visitors approaching the building. Subdivide the building into secure zones with electronically activated door closers.TECHNOLOGYDevelop high-speed/high-volume fiber optic distribution to breakout spaces for projects, presentations and technology in each learning community, enhanced with robust wireless and hard-wired access points.ENVIRONMENTInstall barn doors and garage doors with quality acoustical materials between learning areas and breakout areas for projects, presentations and technology. Create small learning communities for teams of teachers and students that include traditional classroom as well as important support spaces for 1:1 tutoring, small groups, planning centers, storage, etc.