RECOMMENDED OPTION FOR WILLARD ALTERNATIVE HIGH SCHOOLOur proposal to improve the building is designed to ensure Willard Alternative High School students have a facility that meets the educational needs of 21st century high school students. When complete, Willard will be a smarter school in many ways, including:
OPTION S-2 START OVER:
- Equitable 21st century outcomes for students at highest risk of dropping out - the school of our dreams is grounded in programmatic needs of students rather than fancy architecture.
- Safety and accessibility so that teachers and students can concentrate on teaching and learning.
- Using technology in curriculum-rich ways so that our students are "tech savvy" and prepared for a global economy.
- Teaching that emphasizes research-based, best practices in the digital age.
- Construct a new school on District property, which may include the current school site.
SECURITYModify facility to create obvious main entry, secure waiting area and ability to observe visitors approaching the building. Subdivide the building into secure zones with electronically activated door closers.TECHNOLOGYDevelop high-speed/high-volume fiber optic distribution to breakout spaces for projects, presentations and technology in each learning community, enhanced with robust wireless and hard-wired access points.ENVIRONMENTInstall barn doors and garage doors with quality acoustical materials between learning areas and breakout areas for projects, presentations and technology. Create small learning communities for teams of teachers and students that include traditional classroom as well as important support spaces for 1:1 tutoring, small groups, planning centers, storage, etc.