Essential Playing Skill - Storage of Memory
E + R = O
Event in golf is the ball moves from Point A to point B.
Reaction (3 types of reactions: positive, neutral, and negative)
Outcome stored in the brain's library for future reference.
How to create confidence and build your library of good shots:
- Have a good POST SHOT ROUTINE!
- Celebrate if you committed to your decision.
- Celebrate the outcome.
You can CELEBRATE...
- on the inside: anchor it by saying something positive like "awesome"
- on the outside: fist pump or high five
Say one thing great about every shot.
Replace a negative reaction with a phrase: "fairways and greens, fairways and greens"
After every shot, practice being a scientist by only stating the facts about the outcome with no emotion.
Ask yourself if the shot was good enough.
Post Round Storage of Memory:
- Say or write down 10 things you did good on the golf course and feel it, so you store it in your library.
- Say or write down 1 thing you could do better without emotion.
- Say or write down how you are going to practice the better then go and do it!