Academic Honesty Guidelines
The Hellgate High School community values personal and academic integrity in all of our classrooms, programs, and activities. The Hellgate Knight Code states that we will “seek nothing before honor.” The IB Learner Profile also refers to Principled Students as those who “act with integrity and honesty, with a strong sense of fairness, justice and respect for the dignity of the individual, groups and communities. They take responsibility for their own actions and the consequences that accompany them.” To underscore these codes of honor, we agree on the following principles of Academic Honesty. Understanding and gaining the practical skills to apply these concepts to the academic environment is our goal.
Intellectual property: Thoughts, words, expressions of creativity that are protected under copyright, patent, trademark or other laws.
Authenticity: An individual’s original work, with full and appropriate acknowledgment of other’s language, expression, and ideas.
Collaboration: Cooperating on a common academic project by sharing information, while maintaining one’s own independent analysis.
Malpractice: Actions that give a student unfair academic advantage or affects the results of another student. These may include, but are not limited to:
· Plagiarism: Representing the ideas or works of another without proper acknowledgment or as one’s own, whether intentional or not.
· Cheating: Intentionally using or attempting to use unauthorized materials, information, or study aids in any academic exercise.
· Collusion: An illicit agreement between students to copy one’s original work for assessment by another.
· Fabrication: Deliberate falsification of any information.
· Facilitation: Assisting another student to violate the standards of academic honesty.
· Duplication: Submission of the same required academic work for more than one course.
Despite our best efforts to teach the principles of academic honesty, the temptation for malpractice may be too great for some students to resist. Hellgate teachers and administrators will exercise their good judgment and consistency to apply a wide range of academic consequences for violation of this academic honesty policy in accordance with the severity of the infraction. In addition, the impact of a student’s actions may have far-reaching effects on GPA and class standing, potential recommendations for scholarship awards, and acceptance to a college or job of their choice.
I have read and understand Hellgate High School’s IB Academic Honesty Policy.
Student Signature Date
Parent/Guardian Signature Date