- Paxson Elementary
- Class updates
Class Update 4/9Posted by Jane Doherty on 4/9/2021 4:00:00 PM
Hello 2nd grade families!
We had another exciting week in 2nd grade! It feels so great to be back in a rhythm of a 5-day week. And, all three second grade teachers got our second vaccine doses without any major side effects!
Remote Folders and math: Thanks for continuing to support some concept practice at home. We will send remote folders with kiddos on Fridays. Please remind kiddos to look through the folders to see if they have any corrections or completions, and help them study their math fluency facts.
Riverbank Run: Please remind your kiddos to work on their Running Club Challenge card. For every 5 minutes of walking or running, students will color in a square. Challenge cards can be returned the week of April 26th. Students who complete the challenge will get a DQ token from the Family Resource Center!
Lunch Running Club: Second graders are running hard! We are neck and neck with third grade for the most miles run so far. The grade that gets the most miles by May 22nd will get an extra recess! Please make sure to send your child with running shoes on Tuesdays and Thursday if they want to participate!
Specials: We started our Art rotation with Mrs. Cross this week. We will work with her for one more week.
Supply Check: We are at a great place in the year to check in with your kiddo about their supplies. Please ask if they are in need of pencils, sharpeners, or headphones.
Second Grade Content Updates:
- Math: Building on what we did last week with understanding 3-digit numbers, this week we looked at how to compare those numbers using our understanding of place value.
- Social Studies: This week, we had a guest speaker from another second grade class talk to us about his Assiniboine, Chippewa, and Sioux heritage and culture. We looked at the Tribal Territories of Montana and read the Land Acknowledgement for our region. They are enjoying taking notes about different contemporary Montana leaders on our Making Montana Proud posters.
- Spanish: We are continuing to read informational texts about plants and trees, and have started reading about tornadoes.
- Science: We had a virtual field trip with the Missoula Butterfly House and learned about pollinators. We can now identify pollinators and describe their importance to our food chain.
- English Language Arts: This week, we began learning about possessives and apostrophes. We are reading our Teddy Roosevelt biography and applying critical thinking to dissect historical texts.
As always, please reach out with any questions or concerns!
-The 2nd Grade Team
January in Room 165Posted by Jane Doherty on 1/27/2020
We just finished up our Unit 3 Math work on measurement in inches and centimeters and our study of geometric shapes. The kiddos took a unit test and we will start our study of two- and three-digit subtraction with ungrouping.
The kiddos are reading biographies in both English and Spanish classes, and are busy practicing their Spanish literacy skills during their independent Daily 5 time and their small group work with me.
We also practice mindfulness every day and do a longer and more structured mindfulness lesson every Tuesday. Ask your kiddo about mindful walking!