Advisory Committee Recommendations
On Tuesday, June 11, 2019, the Missoula County Public Schools Board of Trustees was scheduled to take action on recommended boundary changes for the Jeannette Rankin, Chief Charlo, and Russell school areas.
During the presentation, we informed the board that a member of our advisory committee uncovered a mistake that existed in the map we published on our website and in the board packets. The mistake was an error in the map published on the website and in the board packet that involved three streets in change area #28 - Rainbow Drive, Reserve Street, and Gharrett St. These three streets should not have been colored pink and placed in the Russell Boundary area. These streets should have been colored orange and placed in the Chief Charlo boundary area.
Identifying this error also gave the board a chance to more fully discuss all of the change areas in a way they hadn’t made time for until last night’s board meeting. Based on their discussion, they moved to:
- Request that a corrected map be presented at the June 25, 2019 board meeting or a special board meeting which accurately describes the Advisory Committee’s recommendation with regard to change areas 28 and 29 and removes change areas 22 and 14.
- This motion received unanimous approval from the elementary trustees present.
If you would like to watch the MCAT recording of the meeting it is on their video on demand page online.
The administration is not recommending changes to any other schools’ boundaries for the 2019-20 school year.
We will keep you updated later in June with regard to any action the board takes.
If you have any other questions, please contact Hatton Littman, MCPS Communications Director or give her a call at 728-2400 ext. 1024.
The map is accompanied by the two documents linked below which make up the committee's recommendation.
The board will review and consider all public comment between May 14th and June 25th when they are scheduled to take action on the committee's recommendations.
- Considerations for Future Boundary Change Needs
- Considerations for Grandfathering Current Students When Boundary Areas Change
- Map - Advisory Committee Recommendation to Board of Trustees
- 6/13 Corrected Map - Advisory Committee Recommendation to Board of Trustees with board requested changes
- 6/26 Adjusted Map - Advisory Committee Recommendation to Board of Trustees with board requested changes
Questions? Contact Hatton Littman, MCPS Communications Director, at (406)728-2400, ext. 1024 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Public comments for the board can be made at board meetings following these rules:
- Public comment on non-agenda items will be available at the beginning and end of each meeting.
- Public comment on each agenda item will be available during the board's discussion of the item on the agenda.
- Written comment should be addressed to:
- Send written comment to Board of Trustees, Administration Building, 215 S. 6th St. West, Missoula, MT 59801. Comments received will be provided to trustees at their next regular monthly meetings (second and fourth Tuesdays of the month) or any appropriate meeting that is scheduled sooner.
- E-mail written comment to individual trustees.
- E-mail written comment to email@example.com. Comments should be addressed to trustees and received by the preceding Wednesday, 4:30 p.m., prior to the Board's regular monthly meetings held on the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month. Only comments received by this deadline will be included in the next regular monthly meeting packet (which is also made available to the public).
- Leave a verbal comment to individual trustees on their "voice mail" (see individual voice mail telephone extensions below).
- All correspondence submitted to individual trustees, to all trustees, or to the firstname.lastname@example.org email address becomes part of the public record. In accordance with Schedule 7: School District Records Schedule, correspondence sent to email@example.com cannot be retracted or revised because it is placed into the board agenda packet which is deemed for permanent retention. If a revision is requested by the author, we will print the original and all revisions in the next regular monthly meeting packet.